210. 7 redenen
Seven good reasons to strive for peace
(Peter Kellner 910111)
- Iraq will take some time to give up its unequal struggle.
- Kuwait's oilfields will be destroyed or badly damaged.
- The Middle East will become ever more unstable as Syria,
Iran and Saudi Arabia vie to expand their influence in the
wake of Iraq's defeat.
- Morality aside, war is likely to polarise further the
conflict between anti-Western and pro-Western Arabs.
- An unstable Middle East will cause hardship to ripple
out to other parts of the world.
- War will scar the Western democracies.
- A future tyrant planning to invade a helpless neighbour
might draw a perverse conclusion from Iraq's defeat.